The Rescue Transport is an amazing program!
Harmony Rescue has been participating in several similar programs since we started the rescue. Each one of these programs networks with animal rescue groups in other areas (Northern Virginia, New Jersey, Massachusetts, etc...) that are willing to accept transfers of dogs/puppies/cats/kittens from us. They review our websites and suggestions for transfers, choose the animal they are willing to help, and pay a fee to cover the vet expenses the animals have incurred. In order to decrease euthanizing and increase adoptions, we all need to team together. Unfortunately, there isn’t the human population to adopt to the amount of animals in our care…but fortunately, teaming with the rescue groups who do have the population to adopt to helps every animal find the forever home. The best part is that all these rescue groups have already or found good homes for the animals.
Depending on the transport program, the actual day of transport is managed differently. One transport will have organized drivers on the route to 1-2 hour “legs” (length of drive one way). The animals are moved from one leg to the next until they reach their destination. The Big transport occurs every week (usually on Saturday mornings starting at 4 am). A network of 5 animal organizations here in Virginia, transport 20-50 animals north. The animals are loaded into a vehicle then a volunteer drives them from Amherst to various accepting rescue groups in PA and NJ. Rescue groups outside these areas will meet in NJ.
Volunteers are always needed to help out with this excellent program. If you are interested or if you would like to be notified about future transports please contact Cindy Schott.
Volunteer’s duties will include:
- Vet appointments the 3-5 days before a transport
- Morning of the transport, walk all the dogs (they need to potty before the trip)
- Assist in loading the vehicle/s
- Depending on the transport program, drive the animal/s on the first leg of the journey to the next meeting point or drive the Big transport to NJ (additional instructions for this program will be provided)
- IMPORTANT! If you sign up for this volunteer opportunity, you absolutely must be there and on time. No shows or being late will make things very difficult. Please keep this in mind when deciding whether you can help.
If you cannot drive but would like to help out, here is a list of what is needed:
- Gas $ or gas cards
- Paper towels
- Bungee cords
- Cleaning wipes
- Animal carriers (small, medium, large)